Putting your Home on the Market? Get Sold on Colour
CIL offers tips to boost your home’s resale value with paint
TORONTO, ON (February 25, 2013) – If you want to make your home a hot property for resale, warm up to colour. Contrary to popular belief, colours with personality have been shown to be more effective at closing a deal. In fact, soothing shades of green, brown and yellow paint may even help a home sell faster than builder’s white or beige.
So say the colour experts at CIL® paint, pointing to the power of colour psychology in swaying people’s opinions, emotions and behaviour, which in turn can determine how quickly a home sells.
“First impressions are everything when selling your home, and paint is the easiest and least expensive way to create an appealing atmosphere for potential buyers,” said Alison Goldman, Brand Manager for AkzoNobel, makers of CIL paint. “The more attractive and comfortable you make your home, the more it will entice prospective buyers to make an offer.”
Goldman offers this advice for updating your home for resale:
- · Detach from the process. Look at the property from a buyer’s perspective. Don’t think of it as your house anymore. You’re selling a product now.
- · Focus on fixtures. Since your furnishings will be going with you when you move, select a colour scheme best suited to your home’s stationary items, such as flooring, cabinetry and countertops. When choosing paint for a living or dining room, for example, hold paint swatches right next to the floor, not only in the middle of the wall, to ensure the tones work well together.
- · Play the odds. Select paint colours that are palatable to a broad a range of potential buyers. Earth tones that reflect the colours of nature, such as muted shades of green, brown, yellow, blue, red, grey and tan, work best since they create a warm and inviting environment. CIL’s top picks are Napa Valley (90YY 35/304) green, Otter Brook (80YR 11/151) brown, Flaxseed (50YY 80/242) yellow, and Lakemont Blue (70BG 11/257) blue.
- · Create interest. Painting a focal wall in a warm colour adds personality to a room and may draw increased interest from prospects. This technique is especially effective in key rooms like the master bedroom and dining area, where a splash of colour can do wonders in adding charm to a space without overwhelming it.
- · Accentuate the positives. Use colour to highlight impressive features of a home or detract from less desirable elements. For example, upgrades such as crown molding can be accented by painting them a colour that contrasts slightly with the walls. Smaller spaces can be visually expanded with shades of cool blue or muted green, and a dark entryway can be warmed up with sunny yellow to maximize the play of light.
“For a minimum investment, paint can help yield maximum return when selling your home,” Goldman emphasizes, comparing planning a home resale to preparing for a performance.
“William Shakespeare’s claim that ‘all the world’s a stage’ is particularly true when putting your home on the market,” she says. “Using the right colours will set the stage for a successful and profitable outcome.”
For more information or to locate a CIL retailer near you, visit www.cil.ca or call 1-800-DURABLE (387-2253).
# # # #
About CIL® paint
Available in Canada at The Home Depot, Rona, Canadian Tire, Walmart and independent paint dealers, CIL® paint has been a trusted brand in businesses, communities, schools and homes across the country since 1927. With more than 1,200 colours in its palette, CIL paint has developed a colour mood system that guarantees a perfect match across a wide spectrum of colours. Regardless of whether it’s interior or exterior paint or advanced wood stains, the CIL brand stands for delivering simple to use paint solutions that offer outstanding value to do-it-yourself consumers. CIL paint is a brand of AkzoNobel, the world’s largest paint and coatings company.
About AkzoNobel’s North American Decorative Paints Business
Within its North American paints business, AkzoNobel produces a portfolio of well-respected brands, including Glidden®, Glidden Professional®, Dulux® Bétonel®, CIL®, Sico®, Ralph Lauren® and Devoe® paints; Flood®, Sikkens® and Synteko® wood care products; and Liquid Nails® and Mulco® adhesives and caulks. Products are sold through company-owned stores, national retail outlets, distributors and independent dealers throughout North America as well as exported internationally.
AkzoNobel is the largest global paints and coatings company and a major producer of specialty chemicals. We supply industries and consumers worldwide with innovative products and are passionate about developing sustainable answers for our customers. Our portfolio includes well known brands such as Dulux, Glidden, Sikkens, International and Eka. Headquartered in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, we are a Global Fortune 500 company and are consistently ranked as one of the leaders on the Dow Jones Sustainability Indexes. With operations in more than 80 countries, our 55,000 people around the world are committed to excellence and delivering Tomorrow’s Answers Today™.
Gail Bergman or Ashley Pergolas
(905) 886-1340 or (905) 886-3345